IUPP Specialized Track provides students the unique opportunity to start working towards the major that students want to pursue at a university/college. The specialized areas of academic courses offered in this track are provided by UC Irvine’s Schools of Biological Sciences, Social Sciences, Information & Computer Sciences, Engineering, and Physical Sciences.
Program Curriculum for Core Courses
|First Quarter*||Second Quarter||Third Quarter||Fourth Quarter|
|Intensive English Reading and Vocabulary (5 hours per week)
Intensive English Speaking and Listening (7.5 hours per week)
Intensive English Grammar and Writing (7.5 hours per week)
|UCI Major / General Education Academic Courses (Up to 12 units)||UCI Major / General Education Academic Courses (Up to 12 units)||UCI Major / General Education Academic Courses (Up to 12 units)|
|*DCE Intensive English placement test is required upon arrival; Additional quarters are available upon approval for a fee.
Courses are scheduled based on availability.
Frequently Asked Questions
- To be accepted in our IUPP Specialized Track, you as an applicant must provide the following documents:
- The Completed IUPP APPLICATION with a non-refundable $200 application fee.
- Copies of your official academic transcripts for the last four years of high school (Grade 9th – 12th) to meet our minimum GPA of 3.5 out of 4.0 (or equivalent) in the UC’s A-G subject courses Recommended GPA for IUPP Specialized Track is at least 3.7 or 90%
- Copy of your high school graduation certificate or a confirmation statement issued by your high school with your expected graduation date and year
- Copy of your current passport page that shows your photo
- Copies of your or your sponsor’s financial statements (e.g., checking or savings accounts) that meets our financial requirements for I-20 issuance: $81,500 USD for 12 months
- Documentation for any educational gap between the graduation of your high school and start date of the IUPP program you intend to apply
- Copies of English proficiency proof that meet any of the following minimum test scores:
|Gao Kao or Hui Gao
English Subject Test
|71 for iBT or 530 for PBT
(recommend 80 for iBT or 550 for PBT)
|6.0||110 (out of 120)
135 (out of 150)
1. To send an official TOEFL test score, please select the institution code B166.
2. Students who transfer from our DCE 10-week ESL intensive program must successfully complete at least level 5 to be exempt from providing any English proficiency proof.
3. International applicants are exempt from submitting English proficiency scores if any of the following circumstances are met: 1) Your native language is English, or 2) You have completed high school in an English-speaking country for at least three years.
UCI Division of Continuing Education reserves the right to deny acceptance to IUPP. Applicants who are not accepted into IUPP by UCI Division of Continuing Education will be notified in writing.
- Complete the online IUPP APPLICATION and pay the non-refundable $200 application fee.
- After you have been provisionally accepted into IUPP, an official Acceptance Confirmation Letter will be sent to you. This letter is usually sent by e-mail. It will describe the IUPP registration policies and request the required Program Deposit of $10,000 USD to be submitted to IUPP within 15 days after the receipt of your Acceptance Confirmation letter. (Note: Students who are government-sponsored must provide an official letter of financial support in lieu of the Program Deposit and any additional tuition and mandatory fees to avoid any delay in the application process or enrollment cancellation.)
- After you have signed the acknowledgement form that is part of your Acceptance Confirmation letter, and IUPP has received your required program deposit, you will receive an official Letter of Acceptance (LOA), Form I-20, and Welcome Packet. With the Letter of Acceptance and Form I-20, you will be able to submit a request for a student (F-1) visa from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your area.
- You will have 45 days to pay the balance of the program tuition and fees. Confirmation of enrollment must include full payment of tuition and fees.
Please see Registration Policies & Deadlines for cancellation and postponement requests.
There are over 80 majors offered at UCI. Popular majors among our IUPP students are listed below:
- School of Biological Sciences: Biological Sciences
- School of Engineering: Electrical Engineering, Mechanic Engineering, Computer Engineering
- School of Information & Computer Sciences: Computer Science, Gaming Science
- School of Physical Sciences: Mathematics, Mathematical Finance
- School of Social Sciences: Business Economics, Quantitative Economics, Psychology
General education courses must be taken as part of the UCI undergraduate graduation requirements. Courses are required in each of the following categories:
- Science and Technology
- Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Arts and Humanities
- Quantitative, Symbolic, and Computational Reasoning
- Language Other Than English
- Multicultural Studies
- International / Global Issues
To learn about the specific requirements for UCI majors, please visit the UCI General Catalogue.
Please know that enrollment in UCI courses is on a space-available basis with permission of the course instructor and/or department, after all matriculated UCI students have been enrolled.
Yes, you can still apply. We evaluate every applicant based on several factors. If you think that you do not meet our minimum English proficiency requirements, we advise that you consider applying to our IUPP Fundamentals Track.
Yes. To attend this program full-time, you are required to obtain a student visa (F-1).
It is possible. Please Contact Us so we can better address your questions.
IUPP is available for students 17 years and older, and students must graduate from high school before participating in IUPP. However, if your high school determines that you are able to graduate from your high school by attending IUPP in your senior year or Grade 12. You may be eligible to apply to our IUPP General.
Please visit PROGRAM DATES for available intakes and specific majors (e.g., Computer Science, Biological Sciences, and Engineering)
The Specialized Track tuition is $55,500 USD for 12 months or 4 quarters.
Additional required fees per quarter are: $585 Student Health Insurance and $250 Student Services.
Please also note that UCI Division of Continuing Education also provides many student activities and support services for all its international students. Please visit ACTIVITIES for more information.
Please visit ARRIVAL & HOUSING for more information.
Students in the IUPP Specialized Track may earn up to 36 quarter units. Credit value in quarter units is indicated in parenthesis after course numbers. One quarter unit equals two-thirds of a semester unit. Please know that each university / college admissions office holds the final determination of the transferability of the units a student earns in IUPP. Any Concurrent Enrollment courses offered in IUPP are equivalent to UCI courses.
Note: Participating in IUPP is not a guarantee to admission of UCI or any other university.