|1st Quarter||2nd Quarter||3rd Quarter||4th Quarter|
(Minimum 12 units; Up to 16 units with the program approval)
(Minimum 12 units; Up to 16 units with the program approval)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
To be accepted into Undergraduate STAR, as an applicant, you must provide the following documents:
- The completed Undergraduate STAR application with a non-refundable $200 application fee. The application fee must be paid within 7 days upon our office’s receipt of your application to be processed; otherwise, the application may automatically be canceled.
- Copies of your official academic transcripts from Grade 9 to meet the minimum GPA of 3.4 and the academic “A-G” subject completion that is equivalent to 15 units of California high school coursework.
- Copy of your high school graduation certificate.
- If you are currently in high school, please provide a copy of the confirmation statement issued by your current high school with your expected graduation date and year.
- Copy of your current passport page that shows your photo.
- Documentation for any educational gap between the graduation of your high school and start date of the STAR program you intend to apply.
- Copies of English proficiency proof that meet any of the following minimum test scores:
- TOEFL 71 / 530
- IELTS 6.0
- DCE 10-Week ESL Level 5
- SAT Reading & Writing 530
- AP English Language and Composition 3
- IB High or Standard Level Examination 5
- ACT Combined English/Writing or ELA 21
- Duolingo Test 95
- Gaokao/Hui Kao (from China) 85% in both English and Chinese subjects
- TOEFL iBT MyBest Scores and Special Home Edition and IELTS Indicator will be accepted as long as all exams were taken within the past two years.
- To send an official TOEFL or IELTS test score, please select the institution code B166.
English Requirement Exemption:
- You have attended a high school for at least 3 years where English is the main language of instruction, or
- You have attended a higher education degree program for at least 3 years where English is the main language of instruction and the country
Our program entry requirements and English exemption are not the same as any other programs at UCI.
UCI Division of Continuing Education reserves the right to deny acceptance to STAR. Applicants who are not accepted into STAR by UCI Division of Continuing Education will be notified in writing.
- Complete the online STAR APPLICATION FORM and pay the non-refundable $200 application fee.
- After you have been provisionally accepted into STAR, an official Acceptance Confirmation Letter will be sent to you. This letter is usually sent by e-mail. It will describe the STAR registration policies and request the required Program Deposit of $10,000 USD to be submitted to STAR within 15 days after the receipt of your Acceptance Confirmation letter. You will also need to submit copies of your or your sponsor’s financial statements (e.g., checking or savings accounts) that meet our financial requirements for I-20 issuance. If you are applying as a transfer-in from another US institution, you will also need to submit a completed Transfer Evaluation Form.
(Note: Students who are government-sponsored must provide an official letter of financial support in lieu of the Program Deposit and any additional tuition and mandatory fees to avoid any delay in the application process or enrollment cancellation.)
- After you have signed the acknowledgment form that is part of your Acceptance Confirmation letter, and STAR has received your required program deposit, you will receive an official Letter of Acceptance (LOA), Form I-20, and Welcome Packet. With the Letter of Acceptance and Form I-20, you will be able to submit a request for a student (F-1) visa from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your area.
- You will have 30 days to pay the balance of the program tuition and fees. Confirmation of enrollment must include full payment of tuition and fees.
Please see Registration Policies & Deadlines for cancellation and postponement requests.
UCI Division of Continuing Education is committed to serving students from all diverse backgrounds. While the acceptance preference will be given to students who have met our minimum acceptance requirements, we recognize individual circumstances and offer a comprehensive review of every applicant. Thus, students who do not meet our minimum acceptance requirements are still encouraged to apply. It is important that students provide additional information (e.g., resume, community service, awards and achievements, and extra-curricular classes and activities) to demonstrate their unique circumstances.
What are the criteria for a student to advance each quarter in the Undergraduate STAR Academic Advancement Track?
Below are key selection criteria are taken into consideration for program advancing
- Score at least 85% in every CE or P/NP class offered by your program.
- Maintain at least a B average or Cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Comply with the program policies (e.g., in good academic standing) at all times
- Achieve at least TOEFL 80, IELTS 6.5, Duolingo 115, or B in 10-Week ESL Level 6 by the last day of the current quarter
Students who meet the above key selection criteria are expected to follow the program curriculum or their designed study plan. When students fail to meet the above key selection criteria, our academic advisors will provide alternative academic preparation courses to assist the student in making progress and maintaining their full-time status.
Please note that additional demonstration of any of the following is required to take a full load of UCI courses after the first quarter of the program:
- Have obtained SAT Writing & Language 31, SAT Reasoning Verbal 680, AP English 3, ACT English + Reading sections 63, IB English HL 5, IB English SL 6,
- Have completed UCI Academic English 20C or been exempt from the UCI Academic English courses
- Have completed at least 8 UCI undergraduate course units with a B average
Yes. Minimum full-time requirement is 12 units each quarter. F-1 student visa is required for students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents to study in this program on UCI campus.
Please visit PROGRAM DATES for available intakes.
Please visit our TUITION AND FEES page for more information.
Program Completion clearance will not be granted for a student with an outstanding debt to UCI DCE, any outstanding misconduct charges, or unsatisfactory completion of all program requirements.
Which colleges and universities have offered admission to students who have successfully completed the program?
View the list of schools that have offered admission to our STAR students since 2011. Moreover, upon successful completion of the program, STAR students will receive our program assistance and recommendation in applying to the Honors Program at our partner college, Irvine Valley College, which offers many benefits, including: transcript recognition, guaranteed/priority transfer acceptance consideration, dedicated scholarships, and access to UCLA Transfer Alliance Program (TAP), the UCI Honors-to-Honors Program, and other transfer partnerships with participating HTCC colleges and universities, across the U.S.
Yes. Please visit ARRIVAL & HOUSING for more information.
Completion of undergraduate STAR does not guarantee admission to undergraduate programs at UC Irvine or any other post-secondary institution. Admission to these programs is controlled by that institution’s policies and admission standards.