Students can choose from one of the following tracks of study within STAR that suits their best interest and educational goals:
- General Track Comprehensive academic English training and a focused study plan that is relevant to a student’s field of study (non-STEM) and provides the flexibility of choosing Accelerated Certificate Programs or university credit-bearing classes; learn the course topics that target critical and analytical thinking and resume writing and interviewing skills..
- Specialized Track Intentional curriculum for students who wish to pursue science and technology as their major area of study and future career; enroll in major-specific courses to acquire advanced academic, research, and professional communication skills and to fulfill the pre-requisites for application to a graduate degree program.
Hear from Students About Their UCI Experience
- Expert guidance on U.S. graduate school selection and the ACTS (Authentic, Comprehensive, Targeted, Strategic) focused application assistance
- Exclusive networking opportunities with selective graduate programs to showcase your strengths and to receive pre-admission consultation
- Undergraduate and Graduate academic credit-bearing classes that may satisfy the pre-requisites of and be transferable to your desired graduate program; Up to one-half units transferable to selective graduate programs at UCI
- Research Citation and Principles classes to teach the structure of building a research project and potential opportunity to work with UCI professors on research projects
Enhanced CV with completion of our Accelerated Certificate Programs/UCI credit courses, plus expert guidance on building a successful graduate school resume and career-related advising on internships and Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- Intensive Academic English and advanced training in Professional Communication (e.g., interview and presentation) that helps you become proficient in English language use in any formal settings
- GRE, GMAT, and other standardized test preparation courses that focus on test-taking strategies and improving scores
- Comprehensive support in academic study skills and individualized advising
- Intercultural conversation experiences with current UCI students who will meet in one-on-one or group conversational settings
- Social events and excursions with other international and American students
- School partnership and scholarship opportunity: UCI Graduate Success Through Academics And Research (Grad STAR) Program has partnered with A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management at UC Riverside to waive the English requirement for students who have successfully completed the Grad STAR program. Also, Grad STAR Program students who have successfully matriculated to A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management will be guaranteed with up to $10,000 USD scholarship.
Note: Participating in Graduate STAR is not a guarantee of admission to UCI or any other university.