Do you have what it takes to write an A+ academic essay? Or how about mastering the often tricky tenses and grammatical exceptions of the English language?
UC Irvine Division of Continuing Education hosts a number of free English language courses on Coursera, an education company that partners with top universities and organizations to offer free online courses.
BONUS: For an additional fee, you can earn a Certificate of completion for each course, or complete a series of courses to earn a Certificate in one of our English language Specializations.
- Academic English: Writing
- Master Intermediate Grammar
- Advanced Grammar and Punctuation
- Advanced Academic Speaking and Listening
- Teaching English: Intermediate Grammar
All of the following courses are available for free if taken on a standalone basis. Courses can be taken as part of a Specialization for an additional cost (see above).
- Tricky American English Pronunciation
- Grammar and Punctuation (Academic English: Writing)
- Getting Started With Essay Writing (Academic English: Writing)
- Advanced Writing (Academic English: Writing)
- Introduction to Research for Essay Writing (Academic English: Writing)
- Perfect Tenses and Modals (Master Intermediate Grammar)
- Adjectives and Adjective Clauses (Master Intermediate Grammar)
- Tricky English Grammar (Master Intermediate Grammar)
- Speaking so that People Listen (Advanced Academic Speaking and Listening)
- Verb Tenses and Passives (Advanced Grammar and Punctuation)
Note: UC Irvine Division of Continuing Education’s sequence of courses on Coursera are designed for learners with intermediate English skills. Students of all English proficiency levels who are seeking more in-depth preparation are encouraged to participate in our 10-Week Intensive ESL program, located on UCI’s beautiful Southern California campus.