With the help of experienced, caring teachers, you can practice using English for everyday conversation in a fun and interactive atmosphere. The Conversation & Culture program can be your gateway to effective communication and additional professional or academic goals in 2 or 4 week increments.
- Study in 2-week sessions for up to 12 weeks. Our 2- and 4-week ESL programs are also suitable for students who want to combine part-time English study with a holiday abroad.
- Learn to speak and understand authentic English with more confidence in classes which focus on real-life communication through lively learning activities
- Immerse yourself in American culture as the focus of your listening, speaking, reading, and writing practice
- Refresh your language skills before attending an American college or university
- Attend small classes – usually about 16 students
- Get to know classmates from different countries and gain an international perspective
- Advance your skills through your choice of specialized courses including American Culture, English for Science & Technology and Academic Preparation
- Receive a certificate upon successful completion of your program
- Available to students 17 years and older at all levels of English proficiency
- To attend this program full-time, you are required to obtain a student visa (F-1)
- Our 2- and 4-week ESL programs are suitable for students who want to combine part-time English study with a holiday abroad. If you are coming to the U.S. mainly for tourism, and you want to take English language classes for your own pleasure or recreation, then a tourist visa (B-2) or Visa Waiver (WT) is appropriate
- Courses offered at all proficiency levels
- Choose specialized course options at program orientation. Specialized course options may vary by section
- Options for incidental study available
Sample Class Schedule
|Specialized Course||7.5 hours/week|
|Speaking & Listening||7.5 hours/week|
|Pronunciation & Vocabulary
Classes meet Monday-Friday at various times between 9:00 and 13:00.
- 72 class hours per 4-week session
- 36 class hours per 2-week session
Want to bring a group? Customized options available!
While enrolled in Conversation & Culture, you can receive a discount for our online courses designed to enhance personal and professional development.
- 25% discount on first online course for ESL students while they are enrolled in the ESL program
- 10% discount for all subsequent courses
- Courses may be applied to a full online certificate from UCI
- See the list of available courses on the UCI Division of Continuing Education page here.