Work directly with UC Irvine’s Schools of Biological Sciences, Social Sciences, Information & Computer Sciences, Engineering, and Physical Sciences to streamline your application and achieve your undergraduate degree without losing any time!
In addition to the program benefits in IUPP Zot! General Track, the specialized tracks include the following:
- An individually designed course of study with up to 36 units of undergraduate coursework in the specific major and related areas, transferable to the degree
- Pre-Academic Preparation Seminar
- Academic counseling from the School (Bio Sci, Engineering, Physical Sciences, ICS, or Social Sciences)
- Facilitated study groups/tutorial
- Connection to faculty in the specific departments
12-Month Program Guidelines for Zot! Specialized Tracks
|Winter, Spring, & Summer Intakes:
TOEFL iBT 71/
IELTS 6.0 or above1,2Fall Intakes:
TOEFL iBT 75/
IELTS 6.0 or above1,2
Fall Intakes: TOEFL iBT 75/ PBT 537; IELTS 6.0 or above1,2
|10-Week Intensive ESL / AACC / Test Prep / Pre-Academic Prep Seminar for the specific track or major||Specific Track or Major Core Course, General Education Courses and Test Prep||Specific Track or Major Core Course and General Education||Specific Track or Major Core Course and General Education|
|21+ Hours||Up to 12 Units||Up to 12 Units||Up to 16 Units|
|1SAT scores may be substituted for TOEFL/IELTS; minimum scores: Critical Reading-450, Math-600, Writing-540.
2The International Programs English placement test is required upon arrival. The result of the test will determine the amount of ESL needed for each applicant.
Demonstration of English Mastery
All IUPP students take an English placement test when they arrive at UCI. After the first quarter, students will be eligible to enroll in UC Irvine undergraduate courses upon successful demonstration (e.g., obtaining a TOEFL score of 80 iBT/550 PBT) of English language proficiency required for maximum success in such environments.
UCI undergraduate classes are provided on a space-available basis; students enrolled in these courses receive all of the rights and privileges of UC non-matriculated students. Enrollment in undergraduate courses for credit is not guaranteed. The current UCI quarter course listing is available, as well as an online version of the UCI general catalog.
Full-Time Study Requirements
A full-time course of study, in compliance with both UC and U.S. immigration requirements, is defined as:
- Minimum of 18 hours of ESL courses or 12 units of IUPP and undergraduate courses per quarter
- The maximum number of units allowable in this program is usually 12 undergraduate units per quarter. Students may take up to 16 units with special approval by the IUPP. Additional fees will be charged.
- No more than 4 units or one course per quarter may be taken in an online format
To successfully complete IUPP, students must fulfill all program requirements, including maintaining program academic performance standards in ESL, IUPP, and UCI undergraduate coursework. Students may be dismissed if they fail to meet UC academic and/or behavioral standards: UC Academic Standards / UC Behavioral Standards. UCI Division of Continuing Education will monitor each student’s academic and personal progress. After each student signs the FERPA Authorization to Release Information to a Designated Third Party, UCI Division of Continuing Education may report student’s performance to designated recipients, including UCI Undergraduate Admissions, the admissions units of other US university campuses, and the student’s parents/guardians.
Note: IUPP does not guarantee admission to UCI or any other university.