International high-school graduates who wish to improve their academic and/or language skills to prepare for study at UC Irvine or other U.S. colleges or universities may enroll in an exciting academic preparation program at UC Irvine. UCI Division of Continuing Education’s comprehensive, 9-12 month International Undergraduate Preparation Program (IUPP), providing maximum support under ideal conditions, gives qualified international high-school graduates essential skills to help them be admitted as an international freshman and succeed academically, culturally, and linguistically as they pursue their bachelor’s degree in the United States.
Students in IUPP generally enroll in one to two quarters of 10-Week Intensive English as a Second Language and two quarters of undergraduate academic courses, in addition to other program components listed in the program features. This winning combination of interactive English teaching and academic and skills-based training is ideal for students looking to ready themselves for the demands of studying in an international setting.
In short, IUPP prepares international students not just for freshman admission, but for success in their undergraduate studies.
Students enrolling in this program will be provided the U.S. equivalent of at least one academic year (nine months, three quarters) of full-time study. Both before and after their arrival at UCI, students will be advised by an academic advisor assigned to them who will carefully collaborate with the student to chart out a course of study. Applicants may choose from one of the following tracks of study:
- IUPP Zot! Track
This track provides two courses of study plans. The General Track course plan is designed for students with a general course of study, especially useful for students who have not chosen a major. The Specialized Tracks offer students a focused curriculum in a specific major.
- IUPP Fundamentals Track
This track offers students provisional acceptance to IUPP Zot! General or Specialized Tracks.
- IUPP College/University Placement (CUP) – Available in Winter 2017
This track is designed for international students who are not eligible to apply to a UC campus as a freshmen. Students enrolling in this track will be provided support customized to their educational needs to achieve their goal of attending and excelling in a top four-year university or college.
- Increased chance of being admitted to UCI as an advanced international freshman
- UCI undergraduate coursework, transferable to undergraduate programs
- Extensive one-on-one advising from a qualified, dedicated academic counselor
- 20-hour Academic & American Culture Course (AACC), and weekly Undergraduate Preparation Seminar (UPS)
- 30-hour SAT and 30-hour TOEFL iBT test preparation courses
- UCI application assistance, from initial application to follow-up
- Academic English support, including coursework and tutoring in English or university study skills
- A Conversation Partner, a current UCI student, who will meet with the student once a week
- Introduction to and interaction with the UCI campus, its prestigious faculty, its abundant resources, and its academic rigor
- Social events and excursions with other international and American students
Note: UCI application assistance and courses are not available for students in Fundamentals. Students in the CUP Track will not receive UCI application assistance from IUPP and will be required to receive special permission if wishing to take UCI courses. IUPP does not guarantee admission to UCI or any other university.