International high-school graduates who wish to improve their academic and/or language skills to prepare for study at UC Irvine or other U.S. colleges or universities may enroll in an exciting academic preparation program at UC Irvine. UCI Division of Continuing Education’s comprehensive, 9-12 month International Undergraduate Preparation Program (IUPP), providing maximum support under ideal conditions, gives qualified international high-school graduates essential skills to help them be admitted as an international freshman and succeed academically, culturally, and linguistically as they pursue their bachelor’s degree in the United States.
Students in IUPP generally enroll in one to two quarters of 10-Week Intensive English as a Second Language and two quarters of undergraduate academic courses, in addition to other program components listed in the program features. This winning combination of interactive English teaching and academic and skills-based training is ideal for students looking to ready themselves for the demands of studying in an international setting.
In short, IUPP prepares international students not just for freshman admission, but for success in their undergraduate studies.
Students enrolling in this program will be provided the U.S. equivalent of at least one academic year (nine months, three quarters) of full-time study. Both before and after their arrival at UCI, students will be advised by an academic advisor assigned to them who will carefully collaborate with the student to chart out a course of study. Applicants may choose from one of the following tracks of study:
- IUPP General Track
The General Track course plan is designed for students with a general course of study, especially useful for students who have not chosen a major.
- IUPP Specialized Track
The Specialized Track is developed for students with a specific course of study in mind
- IUPP Fundamentals Track
This track offers students provisional acceptance to IUPP Zot! General or Specialized Tracks.
- UCI undergraduate coursework, transferable to undergraduate programs
- Undergraduate Preparation Seminar that provides students smooth transition into rigorous undergraduate culture at a top university
- SAT, TOEFL iBT, and other test preparation opportunities
- University application assistance, from initial application to follow-up
- Academic English support, including coursework and tutoring in English, American culture, and academic university study skills
- Intercultural conversation experiences with current UCI students who will meet in one-on-one or group conversational settings
- Introduction to and interaction with the UCI campus, its prestigious faculty, its abundant resources, and its academic rigor
- Social events and excursions with other international and American students
Note: IUPP does not guarantee admission to UCI or any other university.