Our fully-accredited TEFL Certificate Program thoughtfully combines current trends in language teaching pedagogy with traditional best practices in the language teaching field. Whether your aim is to teach adults, children, or both, our program content carefully addresses these unique audiences. This is a full-time, daytime program.
- Choose from a 3-month program of TEFL coursework or a 6-month program of TEFL coursework plus TEFL internship
- Learn best practices of various current and traditional methodologies from distinguished teacher-trainers
- Study together with native-English speakers in integrated classes
- Attend local and/or regional professional CATESOL conferences to explore the most recent trends and developments
- Further your career as an English teacher while networking with professionals in the TESL/TEFL field
- Observe teachers in American ESL classrooms and then plan and conduct a lesson at an American school
- Practice your teaching skills in a classroom setting
- Develop the skills you need to succeed in further post-graduate studies in TEFL and related fields
- Gain a competitive edge in the global English teaching job market with opportunities for TEFL internships within our own industry-leading ESL programs
ACP TEFL Requirements
80 iBT TOEFL, 550 PBT TOEFL, 770 TOEIC, 6.5 IELTS or other evidence of advanced English language proficiency.
Gain an overview of the American higher educational system and develop the academic skills necessary to ensure your success in an ACP.
Attend special lectures from experts in the field covering a wide range of EFL topics such as using technology effectively in the classroom and other aspects of teaching English as a foreign language.
Become familiar with learning theories related to first and second language acquisition that are the foundation of various teaching methodologies, and develop strategies that you can use in your own teaching situations.
Learn how to teach using traditional and current practical applications of TEFL methods. Develop lesson plans and materials for your classroom.
Learn and practice strategies and activities to help your students improve their reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills. Learn specific techniques for developing your students’ proficiency in these areas.
Learn and practice effective methods for teaching English pronunciation while exploring the pronunciation system of English. Help your students achieve intelligible pronunciation for effective communication, and through this process, strengthen your own pronunciation skills as well.
Learn to develop an effective mindset towards teaching young learners while developing valuable resources and creating time-efficient and effective lessons.
Learn and practice different formal and informal ways of assessing your students. Discuss, observe, analyze, and practice the evaluation of speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills.
Learn the practical aspects of teaching, including writing lesson plans and classroom management. Observe teachers in an American classroom, plan and conduct lessons for your classmates and at an American school, and receive feedback on your own teaching.
For an optional last course and for an additional fee of $2,400, you have the opportunity to apply academic theory and gain practical experience in UCI’s industry-leading ESL programs for up to three months.